What is Change Management?
What is Change Management?
The Greek philosopher Heraclitus said, “change is the only constant in life”. The same holds true for business and staying relevant with implementing new technologies and systems. “Change” is something we are experiencing almost all the time, in all aspects of our lives. Every day small changes like minor policy changes or system alterations are carried out. On the other hand, more significant changes like team movement and product profile expansions are also regularly implemented. They enact change management plans to enable their employees to realize company objectives. So, what is meant by the term change management?
Organizational Change Management
Change management is defined as a collection of methods and manners by which a company describes and brings about a change within its internal and external systems and processes. A change management plan should emphasize a broad-spectrum impact of the planned “change”. Such a plan would involve the transition of individuals and teams to a new situation. Changes are implemented through policy decisions and process changes.
The larger the organization’s size, the more challenging it becomes for the management to implement changes. Therefore, any change, big or small, needs to be implemented throughout the organization in a planned, strategic manner. Since affecting behavioral changes across an organization can be an arduous task, organizations need to have a structured approach to engage their employees and bring about the desired changes. Change management consulting services offered by Zolicity can help your organization bring changes smoothly to your organization.
Developing a change mindset
Companies are essentially people working alongside people. A change in mindset could be the most critical factor in effectively implementing the desired process change. Therefore, before starting a change initiative, the following points need to be considered:
- Does the company have a management team and resources with enough experience to effectively implement changes?
- Can the leaders navigate the tight rope of prioritizing job performance without affecting corporate strategy and culture?
- Are they able to create a change implementation framework that addresses all employee concerns?
- Are they able to adopt new technologies without affecting the core of the business?
- Can they engage the employees at the grassroots level and communicate the desired change?
- Do they have the capacity and tools in place to measure the effectiveness of new changes?
Professional change management consulting services empower your teams to build a solid strategic foundation and provide the requisite guidance. Such a strategy is creative yet flexible in its approach.
Importance of organizational change management
Change management equips companies to overcome minor as well as major adjustments to successfully speed up growth, adapt to new technologies, and ultimately achieve success. A well-defined change management plan will take into account additional measures that will ensure that members of the organization may continue to work productively and can bridge the gap in skills required to perform the responsibilities of a changing work environment. This can in part be done by re-vamping employee training and onboarding through learning and development.
Implementation at different levels within the organization:
- Change management at the individual level – As already stated, companies are essentially people working alongside people towards a common goal. The relative success of any new procedural, policy, or product change can only be driven by adoption by people in the company. Therefore any small or big change involves individuals working at different levels within the company. Any change plan needs to factor in the possible resistance it will face within the organization and overcome it.
- Change management at the organization level – People who work within the company contribute to the company’s daily success. However, changes in the organization require long-term planning to have a lasting change at the organization level. Changes are worked upon through a project-based approach. The planned change is communicated to the individuals whose work will be directly impacted by the change. Corporations may need to train their workforce to bring about a new change.
- Change management at an enterprise level – The intention is to achieve greater efficiency across the enterprise with a relentless focus on growth goals. The organization may require reorganization to adopt the planned change. Roles of the stakeholders may need a change, or perhaps a complete overhaul of the organizational structure could be on the cards. All individuals working across the organization would need to accept the change to bring about the desired vision.
Zolicity’s team of change management consultants can help your company with their extensive experience in a variety of corporate backgrounds. Large-scale change can be overwhelming, but our competence in implementing the systems and framework to propel success and sustained results is paramount.
Change management process
Change management consulting is implemented with a project-based methodology. A typical project may include the following broad steps:
- Defining the desired change
- Defining the scope, anticipated results, and timelines for the project
- Creating a communication and implementation plan
- Communicating the change plan throughout the organization
- Implementing the change plan and monitoring key metrics
- Expansion of coverage of the intended change implementation plan
- Data collection, analytics, and plan modification
Unique features of Zolicity’s Change Management planning and implementation
Change management consulting at Zolicity is comprised of utilizing industry best practices and proven methods that create impactful change for the organizations we work with. Some of our goals are to:
- Create a corporate culture that is open and receptive to changes
- Use clear internal communications regarding upcoming changes
- Guide management on holding forums to receive employee feedback on the proposed changes
- Having metrics in place to continuously gauge acceptance of changes throughout the project timelines
- Work in tandem with individual stakeholders at different levels within the organization to make the transition as smooth as possible
Types of change
An organization may have to undergo different types of changes to align itself with its business goals. Once a desired future state of the organization is established, determining the type of change and a direction to achieve the future state can be determined.
Organizational changes may include:
- Operation-specific change – A company may need to alter its mode of operations to bring in greater efficiency or may need to adopt new technology that makes it agile, but there would be a cost involved to get the workforce up to speed with new working methods and new technologies
- Transformational change – this type of change may occur as a result of a merger with another entity. A merger can bring about a difference in the overall culture of the company as the entities begin to merge, and may come with other challenges such as assigning new roles to employees and managing employee motivation
- Business re-engineering change – a company may decide to change their business model, requiring them to overhaul how they conduct business altogether. Such changes have a significant impact on the employees and organization and require sufficient planning
Why choose Zolicity for change management consulting services?
There are multiple effective change management strategies and theories, however, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. The strategy and methodologies employed need to fit the company’s culture, values, and strategic goals. Every change initiative has its unique scenario with different variables, distinct needs, and challenges to overcome. We work with your teams to develop and implement the most suitable plan for your organization’s change management project.
Long-term solutions – Zolicity’s team focuses on delivering a long-term solution for the client by working with company employees to mentor, guide, and support them throughout the lifecycle of the project(s).
Customized solutions – Consultants work closely with the client to get a deep understanding of their company. The insights thus generated help develop a custom-fit solution that is based on the client’s change maturity, resources, and target goals.
Metrics that matter – Change management has specific critical control points that need greater, precise attention than others. Such points are monitored for changes continuously throughout the project. Teams also develop key success metrics that are helpful to gauge the success of change implementation.
To learn more about change management and other services offered by Zolicity, contact us here.